The unmatched beauty of New Zealand can be explored in many ways, but one of the most desirable ways is, on the road. If you can manage to drive on four wheels, there is no better way to discover the natural beauty and untapped views that New Zealand has to offer. The remoteness and inaccessibility of the many wonders dotting the country’s landscape make it perfect for a road trip. If you are going for the first time, you might want to read our expert list of dos and don’ts before you start:
1. Do choose the right car. You will find a lot of rental cars in New Zealand that offer great deals for road trips. However, the trick lies in picking the right one, as per your needs. If you are a solo traveler, a small car would suffice. But if you are travelling with a family, you might consider renting a campervan.
2. Do get off the beaten path and explore uncharted territories. If you really want to enjoy the natural marvels of New Zealand, you must tread unexplored paths and find your own little spots. One of the best advantages of getting a car is that you can drive to wherever you want, and afford to be spontaneous during your trip.
3. Don’t underestimate the roads of New Zealand. The roads here can be tricky and treacherous. If you are here for the first time, you might want to ensure a safe drive, as many remote roads don’t even have guide-rails. The roads are winding and gnarled, not straight at all, so you will have to pay 100% attention during your entire road trip. Also, don’t forget to drive on the left.
4. Don’t stop just about anywhere for a photo. While it may be extremely tempting to pull over at the side of a scenic road and take a picture, this might spell disaster for you and other cars. Whenever you do decide to stop, ensure it is not directly on the highway and you aren’t causing any trouble to yourself or other commuters.
5. Don’t worry; delight in every moment of your trip. While it may seem a little overwhelming at the start, everything will eventually fall in place and you will fall head over heels in love with fabulous New Zealand. Just opt for a reliable rental car service, fill up your tank and get started on a journey of myriad discoveries. New Zealand and its friendly people are extremely kind to all travelers. Bon voyage!